F.W. Speer was established in 1922 in Paterson, NJ by Frank Speer. Frank started the business selling Ace motorcycles. From the mid 1920’s to 1950’s, numerous brands ranging from BSA to Harley Davidsons were sold at this location. In 1963, Frank took his first crate of Yamaha motorcycles. Later that year, Joe and Harry Rybensky bought the business. Joe was a shop fixture in the store who began working there in 1958. In 1968 the store was moved from Paterson to Passaic due to the Paterson riots.
Presently the shop is owned by Vito Addabbo, who began twisting wrenches at the store in 1976. Vito has been riding and racing Yamaha motorcycles since 1970. He is a avid flat tracker and is gone every Sunday riding his FJR1300. The shop is operated by Vitos son Joe “Jr” and Ray “Rayzor” Keegan. Everyone at the store has first hand knowledge of all Yamaha products. WE RIDE WHAT WE SELL.
The Speer Special is a 1929 Harley-Davidson DL model built in the mid-to-late 1930’s by Frank Speer, owner at the time of Frank Speer Harley-Davidson in Paterson, New Jersey. First introduced in 1929, Harley-Davidson designed the D & DL model 45” twin to compete with the Indian Scout.